Scope of application:
The Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct for Customs Employees aims to develop the institutional culture and responsibility of customs staff, to support their professional ethical values when dealing with superiors, colleagues and assistants, and to provide the best service to enhance confidence and credibility.
One of the main objectives is for the State to regain the confidence of the citizens, given that the general opinion is that corruption is the norm, therefore for the Customs administration to be able to accomplish its mission, it must convey confidence in the system and the integrity of the administration and its officers. The development of this comprehensive code of conduct aims to achieve this objective, setting a minimum standard in the duty expected by all Customs officials.
- The international standards and best customs practices shall be adopted.
- Lebanon’s economic and social interests shall be protected, in addition to collecting revenues, combating smuggling, commercial fraud and contributing to ensure the security, safety and prosperity of society and the environment.
- Some values shall be respected like, belonging, integrity, transparency, equality, innovation, and teamwork.
- The employee is entitled to a healthy and safe workplace. He shall be protected against any type of intimidation and efforts to influence them to perform a task against their will to the laws and regulations in force.
- The employee should be treated on the basis of competence and merit, to ensure the right to submit a complaint against any wrongful measure or decision taken against them. He is also entitled to receive a salary commensurate with the degree of difficulty and responsibility of his position.
- The employee should prioritize the work in the public interest only, and to ensure that laws and regulations are in force without transgression, violation or negligence regardless of personal opinions.
- The public expects that when dealing with an employee, the process will be fair, professional, and confidential and with a high level of professionalism.
- The employee should not receive a reward, or accept directly or indirectly gifts.
- The appearance and clothing of the employee shall be appropriate for their function and position.